This much studied menhir is located in a field between
Men-An-Tol and Boskednan Stone Circle. The name of the stone means 'stone of writing' or 'inscribed stone' - the inscription reads:
'RIALOBRAN - CUNOVAL - FILI' - which translates
in Celtic-British as either:
Royal Raven, famous leader, and son
Royal Raven and Famous Chieftain
Royal Raven, son of the famous leader
Royal Raven son of the glorious Prince
Men Scryfa was noted many times between 1700 and 1824, whilst it was fallen?
In 1825, it was re-erected but then in 1849
was taken down by the landowner who
was seeking treasure beneath it.
In around 1862, the menhir was
re-erected once more.
Measurements taken whilst the stone was recumbent suggest 1.09m of it is now
buried underground; which is why
part of the inscription (FILI)
is now below ground.
HEIGHT: 3m / WIDTH: 1m / THICKNESS: 0.6m